Thursday, August 30, 2012

18 weeks - I. Love. Surprises.


Don't worry - there's no alcohol in that ;)
Last week was so strange...everyone was so random!  Thursday Kiel actually ASKED to go to the grocery store.  I'm pretty sure he would pay me to go to the store on top of paying for the groceries rather then ever having to set foot in a grocery store ever again so I was a little shocked, but didn't argue.  He bought Bud Select which is the kind of beer I drink...way to rub it in...because it was "on sale."  Friday my sister did my dishes and cleaned my whole kitchen while I watched a movie with the twins.  A random but appreciated first.  Saturday morning, Kiel actually sorted through old shirts (I have been asking him to do this for months!) and helped me clean up his clothes that have been all over the spare room while my dad has been working on the dressers.  I'm not sure what was the strangest though...either him dusting the living room or suggesting we watch the Hunger Games.  I should have known something was up when he got the windex out.  Turns out he had a motive.  Two of my friends from college were making the 3 hour drive to surprise me :)  Their 3 hour drive turned into a 7 hour adventure when they got a flat tire an hour into their trip.  Long day!  Poor Kiel had a heck of a time keeping the secret from me.  My dad accidentally sent me a text meant for Kiel almost giving everything away, but luckily he recovered quickly and it went over my head.  Kiel got high blood pressure trying to stall me from leaving the house on Saturday (hence watching the Hunger Games lol) so he finally had them call me and fill me in on the surprise.  Still just as exciting as if they'd shown up on the front door!  It was the first time Suzy & Nicole had ever visited Pontiac and I couldn't be happier they made the trip up!  I hadn't seen Nicole in over a year and it had been about 4 months since I'd seen Suzy.  It was so great to see both of them and I just love that even though we don't get to see each other very often it's like nothing has changed each time we do!  And I think even with all the work, Kiel was glad the girls came too.  After all, he got a guys night out and a chance to play night golf for the first time.  He deserved it for being such a trooper, love him. 

Bud Select for the girls....it all makes sense!



They came bearing gifts too!  A "big" cookie (my nickname in college was Big because there are 2 Nicole's & I'm the tallest) and margarita flavored crystal light for the big margarita glasses they brought.  So thoughtful to bring alcohol free beverages to the pregnant lady lol  Oh and a cubs scratcher....I know that was hard for the Cardinal fans to buy.








Still waiting on the background check to be completed with Ameren so no more news just yet on Kiel's job.
 
18 weeks
Had my monthly check up Tuesday the 28th and found out we get to find out what our little sweet potato is in just 2 weeks!  September 11th is the big day and we seriously CAN'T WAIT!  It's really starting to go fast.  I can't believe in just 2 weeks we'll be half way through...only 5 months left!  I should have had my blood drawn for the down syndrome screening this week, but my insurance doesn't cover genetic testing so Kiel & I decided to waive that option.  While it would be nice to be able to prepare for something like that, it wouldn't change the course of the pregnancy so it really isn't necessary.


I'm not sure if it's the baby or the fact that my book & Dr say I should feel the baby move anytime now, but a couple nights this week I've felt some faint "fluttering" right under my belly button while laying in bed.  The best way to describe it is like there are tiny fingers lightly touching the inside of my belly.  Such a strange feeling, if that's what it really is!  I'm sure I'll know for sure in the upcoming weeks as baby grows bigger.  Heartbeat was 152 at the appointment...still the best sound ever.

Your baby's the size of a sweet potato!
She's about 5.6 inches long and about 6.7 ounces now and she keeps on growing rapidly. (That's why you're probably feeling so hungry.)
  • Can you believe she's yawning, hiccuping, sucking and swallowing?
  • And she's twisting, rolling, punching and kicking, too -- and she's big enough that you might be able to feel her doing it!
Henry asked the dreaded question this past Friday..."Aunt Nicole, how is that baby gonna get out of your belly?"  I took the easy way out and told him to ask his mom.  Since she was just in the other room he wasted no time.  Thankfully he accepted her response that the Dr. helps it come out and he'll learn more about it when he gets older.  So glad she was there!

-Nicole
    



 

2 comments:

  1. What great friends you have! I bet that was a really great surprise. Your pregnancy IS seriously going SO FAST!!! I can't believe you are almost half way there. Hearing the heartbeat is amazing but actually feeling the nugget inside of you is indescribable and something that only the two of you get to share…an amazing perk of being "MOM".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me think of when J & I surprised you and you cried :) I was kind of glad they had to spill the surprise because with these hormones who knows how long the tears would have flown! I'm ready for baby to move more...those little flutters are like little teases!!!

    ReplyDelete