Thursday, January 24, 2013

Why Pregnancy Lasts 40 Weeks Instead of 36

Kiel's parents dropped off one of his old toys for Jase - as you can tell he was pretty excited they kept it :)

I've decided that all that crap they give you about the last 4 weeks of pregnancy being about lungs and brain development (like that's important) is just a ploy to keep you from finding out the truth.  Now, I know not everyone has had an easy pregnancy like I have, but I think that anyone that's made it to 39 weeks would agree with me, this is the most uncomfortable time in pregnancy.  Everything is a chore...tying your shoes is almost out of the question, sitting is torture, standing is impossible, nothing fits, you have acne like a high school kid, and all this waiting around for baby is like telling a 5 year old you're taking him to Disney World...in 2 weeks.  So the truth is...the last 4 weeks of pregnancy are more for you then baby.  They're to get you to the point where you're so uncomfortable you forget all about how scared you are of delivery and just want to get this show on the road!  And that my friends is where I am today.  Ready!

At my weekly doctor's appointment today, I found out I'm 2 1/2 cm dilated whhhhhaaaattttt??!??!?  Moving right along!  We scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday (actual due date 1/29) and if I'm still pregnant and not contracting, we'll schedule a date & time for induction.  Of course, going on my own is our preference, but I'm glad we're not going to wait around for him to get to 10lbs.  My last day of work is tomorrow so it's also encouraging that I won't be on maternity leave with no baby for long even if we have to induce.  I'm so glad there is an end in sight.

The car seat base has been installed in the Malibu, Kiel & I got in a mommy/daddy date night this passed weekend, and the house got a pretty thorough cleaning.  Still putting some finishing touches on the nursery...once the curtains are up, I'll do some pics of the entire room, but here are the additions.

I think I've changed his crib sheet 4 times - this combo with the name sign is my fav :)
 
Loving the runners for the dressers!  The short dresser will have the changing pad on it eventually.


Fingers crossed this is my last weekly belly pic :)  As much as I'll miss these, I'm really looking forward to meeting this kid that has made me look like this.

Your baby's the size of a watermelon!
Baby keeps growing, despite being so crowded in there. He probably weighs around 6.2 to 9.2 pounds and measures about 18.9 to 20.9 inches.
  • He's probably able to flex his limbs now.
  • His brain is still rapidly developing -- he's getting smarter by the week!
  • His nails may extend past his fingertips.
 
Here's to hoping next time I write, it will be to introduce you to our son :)
 
-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment