Thursday, August 2, 2012

14 weeks - Heartbeats & Humor

Our big event in week 14 was our appointment on the 31st.  Kiel finally got to meet Dr Ingram and her introduction to him was hilarious.  She walked into the room and after congratulating us looked at Kiel and said, "Nice to meet you, wouldn't be here without you would we?"  HA!  He opted out of staying for the "fun" part of the visit (my exam) to which Dr responded...."You're going to be here for the birth right?"  Of course he is, but decided he didn't need to know what happens with that plastic thing on the table lol!  After he left she jokingly looked at me and said, "We've got some work to do with him don't we?"  She's pretty funny and I think she won Kiel over immediately.  She assured us everything looks great and thankfully I haven't had any major health issues so no red flags.  Aside from Dr's humor, the best part of the appt was by far hearing our baby's heartbeat.  It took what felt like an eternity for her to find it, but the minute she did, it was unmistakeably real!  I don't think I've been emotional due to pregnancy, but the minute I heard that beautiful sound the tears just started rolling down my face as I lay there listening looking from Kiel to Dr. Ingram back to Kiel in amazement.  We had planned to record it on Kiel's phone, but it was all so overwhelming I completely forgot until we were already in the car.  Not that it matters, I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.  I got it together and made it to the elevator before completely losing it.  Poor Kiel.  When he asked me why I was crying I could barely get out, "I don't know."  I honestly think a very large part of me thought there was a good chance there would be no heartbeat and the Dr would disappointingly tell us there was no pregnancy.  That heartbeat made everything 100% real...we're going to have a baby :)

Henry officially confirmed it's starting to look like I have a baby in there :) 

  
14 weeks

We also went ahead and made our big news facebook official.  Part of me wishes I could tell everyone in person because usually the reactions are my favorite part.  I love that we weren't the only ones that almost fell over, but quickly got excited.

What they say about the end of the first trimester has proven to be pretty accurate for me.  My nausea is almost non-existent and even with the heat I don't get tired as easily as I did even last week.  I've gained about 6 lbs which seems like a lot compared to a lot of people, but I have to keep reminding myself I never went through periods of not being able to eat or losing whatever I ate after I ate it.  I've been hungry since minute 1 and have kept it all in!  I have noticed in the last day or 2 my hunger isn't so demanding so maybe it will level for a bit anyways...knock on wood!  I'm getting to the point where nothing sounds good because I'm ALWAYS eating!  But like I've said before, it could be much worse.  Over all I feel great and overwhelmed and very thankful for belly bands & maternity jeans :)

your baby's the size of a lemon!
At week 14, your baby is 3.4 inches and 1.5 ounces, he's almost doubled in weight since last week and keeps on growing.


your baby at 14 weeks
  • He's probably sucking his thumb and wiggling his toes in there!
  • His kidneys are making urine, and his liver and spleen are doing their jobs, too.
  • And he's growing lanugo, a thin, peach-fuzz-like hair, all over his body -- it will help him keep warm!
__________________________________________________


This isn't a pleasant part of this weeks post, but life isn't always heartbeats and humor so I want to remember all of it.  One of Kiel's classmate's father had a heart attack at the young age of 52 this past weekend and passed away.  Kiel had the opportunity to work with Paul a little the last month or so which he's grateful for.  I think we all know one day we'll be in that same boat as his boys, but it's always an eye opener when it happens to someone you've known you're whole life.

A classmate of mine, a year older, also passed away this week.  I haven't had much contact with Ryan since HS, but he was always a great person to be around and he will truly be missed.  Our thoughts & prayers are with the Jones & Bertsche families this week as they deal with these major losses.         

No comments:

Post a Comment