Thursday, January 10, 2013

37 weeks - 3rd Times A Charm

Our 3rd appointment in Peoria proved to be best one yet.  We finally got some good news...there's no need to deliver in Peoria so no need to induce early...hallelujah!!  His kidneys are still dilated, but they didn't get any bigger & that's what we were hoping for.  The left kidney stayed the same at a 12, but that right kidney really saved the day by going from a 10, 3 weeks ago, to just a 7 this week!  Dr Gross is confident that when Jase is born, his kidneys will appear normal size (due to dehydration that occurs during birth), which would cause all of us, including himself, to question why we induced early in the first place.  Jase will need to be seen a few weeks after birth to confirm if his kidneys are still dilated which Dr Gross is pretty sure they will be.  From there we will have follow up appointments until either his kidneys figure it out on their own or until the Dr's feel he's big enough to do corrective surgery.  Obviously, we're crossing our fingers for the former, but for now, we wait for the big guy to decide when he's ready to meet us.  Personally, I hope he was listening when Dr Gross said because of his size he would feel confident in me delivering at 39 weeks and not the part when he said he'd even feel comfortable letting me go a week past the due date.  They estimated his weight is 7lbs 6oz which is just a couple oz less then what the ultra sound in Pontiac suggested so I don't think we need to be waiting until 41 weeks...I'm not really trying to break any records here. 

As far as the ultrasound goes, he was pretty boring again.  No good face pictures...couldn't even get a profile.  Just a blurry ear.


But we did find out, our man has hair! 
The half circle you see is the view of the back of his head.  The thick white line is his skull and the thinner white line on top is his hair lol.  I get a pretty big kick out of this picture.  Can't wait to find out what color it is!

Kiel's mom came to my weekly appointment with Dr Ingram this week & got to hear her grandson's heart beat :)  He really must be running out of room in there and taking this time to relax because it was very slow at 120ish bpm (was the same on Wednesday in Peoria) so not as loud as usual.  Dr Ingram seemed pleased that there's no need to deliver in Peoria - here's to hoping she's working or on call when he decides it's time. 

Still getting more & more uncomfortable everyday, but very thankful sleep has been pretty peaceful this past week.  I managed to get Jase's hospital bag packed this weekend (not that I need much for him) and aside from the items I use everyday, my bag is ready to go too.  Since we'll be delivering in Pontiac, I'm not too concerned about getting a bag ready for Kiel, but I might still throw something together for him in the next week or so.  I've gotten a lot of good advice from my sister & girlfriends who have recently delivered so I feel pretty good about what I'll be taking with me even though I'm sure I'll over pack. 

Will be finishing up my baby laundry this weekend with the newborn clothes I've borrowed from the Henkels (wishful thinking, I know) and the covers for the car seat & pack-n-play.  A few more steps closer to being ready!

Your baby's the size of a winter melon!
Yay! Baby has reached full term. He likely measures around 18.9 to 20.9 inches and weighs about 6.2 to 9.2 pounds. He's gaining about 1/2 ounce each day.
  • He's practicing some skills: inhaling, exhaling, sucking, gripping and blinking.
  • He's getting his first sticky poop (called meconium) ready for his first diaper.
  
-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment