Sunday, December 1, 2013

41 Weeks - Tornado/crawling/End of nursing (tmi alert)

11-15-2013 - Well, I've been talking about this day for what seems like forever now and it's finally here. 


When I got pregnant, people would ask me if I was going to breastfeed or use formula and while my answer was always "I'm going to try to nurse" I never had the intention of trying very hard.  The concept of nursing just seemed awkward to me.  And to this day, I will fully admit, that had nursing been hard - had Jase not latched well, or had my milk not been enough for him - I would have quit before anyone could even suggest supplementing.  Without going into some long sentimental story, I'll just use a quote from a good friend.  Simply put, "Nursing is like a cult.  You don't really get it until you do it."  So at the end of the day, I gave Jase a bath and sat down to nurse him for the very last time.  Spoiler alert: we both survived :)

11-16-2013 - Today was a big day...Jase finally got up on his hands & knees and crawled.  Toward the remote like a real man (video).  I know he's about 3 mo behind some babies, but I cannot believe my baby is crawling!!!  Too many emotions this week! 

It only took a million tries to get this video.  He kept getting distracted by toys closer to him...less work!


My first day of no nursing or pumping went great.  I was full by the end of the day, but nothing I couldn't handle.  I thought stopping on a Friday would be best so I could have the entire weekend to get used to it in case I was super uncomfortable.  Note to self....start on a Thursday next time.





11-17-2013 - I woke up Sunday in a lot of pain.  Now starts the TMI.  It was like I had just given birth and my milk had just come in.  My boobs were swelled up into my armpits and up towards my collar bone.  It was hard to shave my armpits that morning and picking Jase up was a real chore


I was glad Kiel was home so he could take care of Jase all day, but as lunch time rolled around the storm that was headed toward us hit Washington where Kiel works with a full blown tornado.  It passed through Pontiac in about 20 min, but the news was showing us the damage done to the towns that weren't so lucky.  Kiel finally got the call from work around 2 and knew it was going to be a long week.  He told Jase "see ya next weekend buddy" and headed out.  He wasn't kidding.

My Uncle Rusty, mom's youngest brother, lives in Washington and his house was right in the heart of where the tornado hit.  Thankfully, they were able to get to the basement just before the tornado touched down and none of them were harmed.  Their home was completely destroyed and while they spent days looking for their belongings, the majority of them were lost. 

This picture is an aerial view of the path it took through Washington.


 These are pictures from my Aunt's facebook page after the storm. 


The view they saw when they came out of their basement would have been shock enough for me, but the stories they have of neighbors and where they found their belongings are something the majority of us cannot understand.  After seeing the damage, Kiel said it's something you can look at in pictures for days, but being there is like nothing he's ever experienced. 

11-18-2013 - Kiel worked through the night and got home around 9am only to be back at work by 3 and continue that schedule until further notice :-/

I was glad to be going back to work so I didn't have to worry about my sore chest.  It was pretty hard to focus on anything other than how uncomfortable I was.  I'm sure the guys at work thought I got implants over the weekend...it was ridic.











I was trying to get him crawling again, but he pulled this out of his hat instead (video).



11-19-2013 - Day #2 of tornado repairs.  Kiel said in 4.5 hrs they got 290 houses back on right next to the damage.  They still had a lot of work to do.


I read a couple articles claiming cabbage leaves have a natural component in them that dries up your milk.  So, you guessed it, tonight I put cold cabbage in my bra and let me tell you...it felt wonderful lol  I had a large knot on the top of my left breast and after a couple of hours with the cabbage boobs, the knot was gone.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I don't care. 

11-20-2013 - Day #3.  I believe in the power of the cabbage.  The girls are still full and tender, but they aren't hard as rocks and I could actually shave my armpits easily this morning WINNING!  I might smell like cabbage for a few more days.

11-21-2013 - Day #4.  It sounded like they were going to get a break today, but they were getting close to getting everyone's power back on so the 3pm to 8am schedule stuck for another night. 

A little crawling in place lol (video)

The knot I mentioned the other day had moved to my right breast.  It was pretty frustrating going back and forth with feeling good and hurting.  I was really afraid of mastitis, but was hopeful it was just the way the milk was settling and nothing a little cabbage couldn't fix lol  I had almost survived the week!

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment